Any good San Antonio auto accident attorney will tell you that the key to a successful personal injury claim is attention to detail. When you’re in pain or in the middle of the chaos following an accident, the last thing you may be thinking about is gathering evidence. But if you think about these six tips and understand them, when the time comes, these small details could make all the difference.
What follows are six tips from a San Antonio car accident lawyer that will help you win a personal injury claim.
Don’t Overlook Anything
1. If you’re able, use your phone (or keep a camera in your glove compartment) to snap pictures of the accident scene as soon as possible. The time/date stamp on the photographs will establish the time of day. The photographs themselves will establish the weather, condition of the roadway (or whatever surface the accident occurred), lighting or lack thereof, other people involved, license plate numbers, roadway markings, signals, and signage. You can also take videos with your cell phone. In short, document everything, including your injuries.
2. While the events of the day are still fresh, write down everything you remember, including if the other party said anything that could prove useful such as apologies or admitting fault.
3. If you notice people nearby, ask if they witnessed the incident and if they would be willing to make an official statement. With their permission, also consider videotaping what they have to say with your phone. Get their information so they can be contacted later if needed.
See a Doctor
4. Whether you were transported to the ER or walked away from the scene, make an appointment with your family doctor as soon as possible. Make sure it’s an M.D. and not an alternative-medicine type of practitioner. (Not that we don’t think alternative medicine is useful, but the court may have a different view.)
5. Follow your doctor’s instructions to the letter. Keep a written daily diary of symptoms, treatments, and therapies.
6. Ask for copies of all medical records and reports.
Get an Attorney
Finally—actually, sooner than finally—hire a competent San Antonio auto accident attorney. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Pat Maloney are ready to guide you and your case through the system to ultimate success.