With drilling taking place on land and offshore, Texas oil field injuries are in the news with almost numbing regularity. Each accident is an example of how better training and well-maintained equipment could mean the difference between health or disability, or life or death.
A few recent examples:
- An oil field worker in Midland County was electrocuted when the rig he was helping to build touched power lines.
- Two Mitchell County oil field workers were killed and one injured when a cable from the winch truck they were operating also touched a power line.
- In Howard County, an improperly secured oil heater tank rolled, fatally pinning a man against another piece of equipment.
- An oil rig explosion in Upton County killed three members of a service crew and injured one other.
And what appears in the news is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of incidents that go unreported.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that one in every hundred oil field workers will suffer a job-related injury every year. One percent may sound insignificant, but when you consider the industry employs millions of workers in Texas alone, that one percent can represent thousands of lives affected by injuries such as burns, lung damage, broken bones, traumatic brain injury, eye damage, and chemical toxicity.
What should you do if you are involved in an oil field injury accident?
- Document the events leading up to the incident, such as weather conditions, wet/slippery surfaces, leaking fuel or chemicals, even the amount of training you received for the particular task you were performing.
- Report the incident to your supervisor and human resources. Texas law does not require that all oil companies carry workers’ compensation insurance, but if your employer carries it, you could qualify for compensation for lost wages.
- Compensation for pain and suffering will have to be pursued in court. Retaining an experienced San Antonio personal injury attorney will help make this complicated process easier.
Are you the victim of oil field injuries? Not sure if you’re being treated fairly? Give us a call. We can help you get the compensation you deserve.